|Hydrostatic load cells mounted under food processing equipment in a heavy washdown food plant.
The Food and Chemical Processing Industry is one of the very harshest environments for scales and weighing equipment. Thousands of electronic load cells are replaced every year at high cost.
We know the reasons, and
we have the solution.
We have installed thousands of Hydrostatic load cells in Food plants across the country, from Campbell Soup, to ConAgra's, Smithfield, Seagram's, Tyson, General Mills, and hundreds more. We have the perfect load cells to weigh your Mixer, Grinder, Massager, Blender, Hopper, Tank, Conveyor, Reactor, Silo, Cooker, or any other vessel that you can imagine. Emery Winslow has floor scales of every shape and size, for pit installation or above grade, with unique cleaning features. We have bench scales, Truck scales, Railroad track scales, and custom scales of all shapes and sizes to suit your specific needs. If we could build a scale to sit in salt water for 12 years to weigh Killer Whales, we can help you too! Please read the page below, to see how well we know the scale challenges of your industry:
Keep reading >>
What are the primary reasons for electronic load cell failure in a Food or Chemical Processing facility?
1. Water and high pressure wash down.
2. Cable damage.
3. Physical abuse and damage.
4. Corrosion from water, caustic cleaning solutions, or product spills.
5. Welding damage.
6. Power surges and voltage spikes
7. Explosive/Hazardous areas.
8. Calibration erosion.
What is the solution?
Hydrostatic load cells from Emery Winslow! Hydrostatic load cells are totally non-electronic, and are superior in every way to electronics. The Advantages and benefits are remarkable:
1. Hydrostatic load cells are totally immune to failure from water or high pressure wash down. They will even operate indefinitely totally submerged. They are not just water "resistant" but actually immune. They surpass the claims of "hermetic seals", Nema 4X ratings, and IP-68 ratings. You don't need to tell your third-shift cleaning crew to "be careful around the load cells". We encourage direct blast of all our Hydrostatic load cells. We guarantee them for 15 years against failure from water.
2. Hydrostatic load cells are fully constructed of grade 304 stainless steel, as much as 60 pounds of grade 304 stainless steel in each load cell. As a result, they are far more resistant to corrosion from caustic solutions, and even from the natural acids in some food products. Electronic load cells cannot be made from grade 304 stainless steel, because it cannot be hardened. Therefore they can only make them out of alloy steel, or grade 17-4PH stainless. Some electronic load cells have a very thin outer shell of grade 304 stainless steel, which can be easily damaged or punctured, thereby exposing the strain gages to moisture damage. Remember, the electronic load cell is only hermetically sealed when it leaves their factory. You have no way of knowing if it is still hermetically sealed the day it is installed in your plant! If your are working with extremely caustic chemicals, we can even make some of our load cells out of Titanium, or Delrin, or 316 stainless, or Hastelloy or Monel components! Give us a call. 1-800-891-3952
3. They are impervious to failure from welding currents, which are common when repairs are being made on a vessel that is supported by load cells. Hydrostatic load cells do not require grounding straps, and no dummy blocks are needed when the vessel is first mounted on the load cells.
4. Hydrostatic load cells have no vulnerable cables that can be easily nicked or damage, thereby allowing water to wick into the strain gage area, and cause load cell failure. Our tubing lines are heavy wall capillary tubing, grade 316 stainless steel, and almost impossible to break or penetrate. Call us for a free sample!
5. Hydrostatic load cells are non-electronic, and therefore immune to damage from power surges, voltage spikes, static charges, as well as effects from EMI and RFI interference. Electronic load cells are vulnerable to all these elements. Hydrostatics are even guaranteed for 15 years against failure from lightning damage, particularly on outdoor tanks, and vehicle scales.
6. Because Hydrostatic load cells are totally non-electronic, they are the only load cells that are completely safe for highly explosive areas, including Class 1 Division 1 areas, without the need for safety barriers. Our summing device can be remotely located in a safe area, thus eliminating all electronic components from the hazardous area! Whether you use volatile alcohols in your process, or if you are making granola bars with nitroglycerin for extra "punch", we have the scale for you!
7. Physical abuse can damage any load cell, if it is severe enough. Hydrostatic load cells have a reputation for being bullet proof, and can withstand far more shocks and abuse than electronic load cells. Most of our load cells have an overload safety factor of 200% or more. In the event of extreme overload, some of our load cells can even be field repaired at low cost!
8. Hydrostatic load cells have a proven history of holding their calibration as much as 10 times longer than electronic load cells. Many of our scales have in use for 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, even 10 years or more under heavy usage, and have never needed a calibration adjustment! No electronic scale can make that claim. No scale company can guarantee calibration, but our track record is unsurpassed. Give us a call, and we will explain why this is so. 1-800-891-3952
Emery Winslow also sells thousands of electronic load cells every year to various industries. We don't recommend them to the Food and Chemical Processors, because they are not well suited for the harsh environments. It is true that our competitors enjoy a huge spare parts business, selling replacement load cells and summing boards. You may pay a little extra for Hydrostatics, but your cost of ownership will drop dramatically, and your down time could be virtually eliminated.
Please click on our products pages, to see our series 708 and 709 Hydrostatic Floor Scales, as well as our Bench Scales, and Tank/Hopper scales. We can provide your facility with scales that were designed specifically with Food and Chemical Processors in mind. Take a moment to read some of our great testimonials, and read some articles that have been published in Meat Processing, and Food Manufacturing magazines. Don't forget that we have a full line of Truck scales and Railroad Track scales as well. Please remember that if your application is totally clean and dry, and you don't need the benefits of Hydrostatic technology, we have a full line of high quality electronic load cells and scales that will give you great service and reliability. If you have questions, or want to discuss your particular application challenges, just give us a call. 1-800-891-3952 We will be glad to give you some ideas, and a no-obligation budget quote.